Steeped in Norse mythology and Norwegian folk tales, Through the Woods takes you on a mysterious journey and leaves you to wander the forest alone. Do you remember the sense of anxiety & dread you felt as a child when you were alone, in the dark? Not only is Antagonist aiming to remind you of the loneliness, the dread, but they’re going to make you re-live it! And I can’t wait…
Through the Woods is a 3rd person psychological horror game set in a forest on the western shore of Norway about a mother and her missing son. Through dynamic narration, you play the mother’s re-telling of the events surrounding her son’s disappearance in a setting heavily influenced by Norse mythology and Norwegian folk tales. With Through the Woods, the Norwegian indie studio is attempting to capture the forest as they saw it as children, with all the frightening and mysterious feelings of roaming the woods alone. This is coupled with a poignant story and high quality sound design that acts as a core mechanic in the darkness of the forest.
- Dynamic narration for the dialogue that tells the story in the present, putting the player’s actions into the past tense.
- Environments and story inspired by Norwegian art and nature, and Norse Mythology.
- Heavy focus on audio-design as part of the core mechanic.
- Creative use of light and darkness, making your expectations play tricks on you.
- A profound experience that will leave you feeling as if waking up from a nightmare.
The idea for Through the Woods came in late 2009, and Antagonist started on the production September 2013. Their aim is to make people afraid of the forest again; they want you to do that double take as you pass that thicket in the woods after having played the game.
- “Sound of the Year” Norwegian Game Awards, 19 February, 2015
Antagonist is a new game studio based in Oslo, Norway. Their goal is to make short, but narrative-driven experiences.
Antagonist is aiming to release Through the Woods during the 1st quarter of 2016, currently this is being planned for PC. We’ll keep you posted on any news and developments as they become available, let us know what you think of it in the comments below.