Deadwood: The Forgotten Curse is another example of what can be done when you follow your passion and pursue a dream. The team behind Steamroller Studios realized that this game had the potential for greatness, but it deserved far more than their part-time focus in order to make the dream come true. They made the tough decision, they left the cozy comfort of their successful careers to create something great. And by the looks of it, they’ve done it…
Don’t let the cutesy factor deter you, this is truly an action/ adventure game that has it’s roots in the survivor horror genre. We, the community, can rally behind this indie studio and show our support for their Kickstarter campaign, lets help prove they made the right decision… let’s help prove that the easiest road traveled isn’t always the right one, sometimes you’ve got to put up or shut up. And that’s what they did!
Deadwood: The Forgotten Curse is an action/adventure game with a unique survival twist. You play as Lathe, a teenage woodling and an avid inventor. During your adventures you are accompanied by a stone giant named Roguard. Together you must fight back hordes of wooden zombies, better known as “The Deadwood” and stop the curse from spreading through the land of Knottington. By day, Roguard will protect you from the deadwood. This will allow you the freedom to explore the land of Knottington. You’ll scavenge for resources and then use those resources to craft your weapons and defenses. Because when the sun sets, Roguard falls asleep, leaving you alone to fight back the deadwood and protect your stone companion. With the right balance of strategy and skill you may just survive the night.
The Almighty Deodar Tree brought the Deadwood curse to the land of Knottington many centuries ago. It’s power could not be stopped. All hope seemed lost, until 4 mysterious stone companions cast a spell that contained the curse. Now, years later, someone has plucked a seed from it’s twisted branches and unleashed the curse once again. Only the keeper’s apprentice and one of the stone companions can hope to recast the spell, and save land Knottington.
- Day/Night Cycle. Our world changes and the player must be able to adapt quickly in order to survive the night. Use your crafting skills to build tactical defenses and weapons to protect your sleepy friend, Roguard, against the Deadwood.
- Art Driven World. Deadwood: The Forgotten Curse has a beautifully painted art style and fun cartoony animation. Explore a “quirky and cute” world filled with dangerous forests, vast plains, and tons of fun and unique characters.
- Challenging Quests. Our map is filled with tons of world related quests. We wanted Deadwood to give the player the option to learn more about the world’s history and characters with extended side quests.
- Let’s get crafty! Our crafting system allows the player to build various types of weapons and defenses. Use the materials and amber modifiers you’ve gathered while scavenging on your journey. As long as you’ve acquired the design and the proper materials, you can craft away.
- Threatening Enemies
- Sprout: Not the sharpest tool in the shed, but don’t be fooled by this cute and adorable creature. They’ll do absolutely anything to snack on some sap!
- Splinter: If you are intimidated by Splinter’s glowing amber exterior… you should be. They attack fearlessly from a distance and will dodge your attacks.
- Knot: A chunky looking fella. They love to smash woodlings as well as other deadwood that stand in his way.
- Thorn: What he lacks in size he makes up for in crazy. Coordinated and explosive, these guys hunt in packs.
- Scavenge, Secure, Survive
- Scavenge: Search buildings/bodies for materials. Breakdown certain items for resources. Explore areas for items such as ammo and health.
- Secure: Build barricades, traps, mines, and decoys to help hold down the fort and plan for the night’s attack. Also fortify/repair existing structures during attacks as deadwoods wear them down.
- Survive: Omni-directional top-down shooting mechanics. The deadwood take effort and strategy to kill, so be careful, they never stop coming.
- Uncover Amber. During your exploration of Knottington you’ll gather many types of amber, which is used to modify weapons and defenses. Each modifier has a unique source of energy
- Open World to Explore filled with a variety of interesting locations to explore. With our custom hex tile system we can create massive worlds at an accelerated rate so we may spend more time with the art direction.
- Sweet sounds. Andy Lackey has worked on some of the best games and films of the last decade. He’ll make our wooden zombies sound awesome.
- Catchy music. Final Fantasy meets Dexter. Once you hear it, you’ll have it in your head all day. Listen to some of the music scored by the amazing Luke Thomas.
What if we created wooden zombies in a “quirky and cute” open world? Well, that’s what Deadwood: The Forgotten Curse is! We wanted to create a charming world that was beautiful to look at with a dark added twist. Don’t Starve and Tim Burton films were some of our inspirations for the darker elements. We we’re also inspired by Zelda and Secret of Mana for the lighter side of things. Combining these inspirations we’ve created a fun and unique look that runs through the animation, story, interface, and every other facet of the game.
Why Steamroller Studios Started Their Kickstarter Campaign
Deadwood: The Forgotten Curse is a passion project for us. We have been working on it part time for a while, but have recently invested all of our savings and time into doing this fulltime. We currently have a core team of 6 and an extra 5 or so helping offsite. We are now moving full steam ahead to bring you the best game possible. We believe in Deadwood and we believe that our team has what it takes to deliver it.
We are looking to our fellow game lovers, developers and fans alike to help us push Deadwood into a more expansive direction with more quests, more explorable areas and a more intricate story line for our two grand adventurers to conquer.
The great thing about Kickstarter is that it allows us to share our process with you. We want to give you an inside look into how we develop, market and explore new territory in creating our open world. We would love for you to be a part of this process through our live stream meetings, consistent dev updates, and blogs. Check it out here & show your support…
Developed by Steamroller Studios, a league of creators gathered together to bring the Deadwood dream alive. We knew we built a strong and dedicated team when everyone was willing to juggle multiple jobs while working on Deadwood in their spare time. As the story progressively grew stronger and a solid foundation was built, the team realized that Deadwood has the potential to be something AWESOME. Reality set in that time was not on our side with everyone only working part time on the game. If we wanted to see Deadwood reach its full potential, something had to change. The decision was agreed upon for us all to leave the comfort of our day jobs and dedicate our creative efforts to the game.