Brand new details emerge from the craziness at the Minecon in London this weekend as Telltale Games & Mojang reveal the details behind the Minecraft: Story Mode.
You’ll control protagonist Jesse throughout the season, as portrayed by actor Patton Oswalt. Jesse and his group of friends revere the legendary Order of the Stone; four adventurers who slayed an Ender Dragon. The Order are the very best at what they do: Warrior, Redstone Engineer, Griefer, and Architect. While at EnderCon, Jesse and his friends discover that something is wrong… something dreadful. Terror is unleashed, and they must set out on a journey to find The Order of the Stone if they are to save their world from oblivion.
The season will feature Patton Oswalt, Brian Posehn, Ashley Johnson, Scott Porter, Martha Plimpton, Dave Fennoy, Corey Feldman, Billy West, and Paul Reubens. Look for further casting details to come!
Want to get the details straight from Mojang? Here are the bullet points that they’ve elected to share at this time.
Wait… You’d like something a little more interactive than a list of bullet points? Then check out Info Quest 2.
- Minecraft: Story mode will be a narrative-driven video game created by Telltale Games. It will be about Minecraft.
- Mojang is collaborating with Telltale and members of the community to make Minecraft: Story Mode as Minecrafty as possible.
- The first episode will be released some time in 2015, and will be available on Xbox consoles, PlayStation consoles, PC, Mac, iOS, and Android-based devices.
- Minecraft: Story Mode will be released episodically, just like The Wolf Among Us, The Walking Dead, or the recent Tales from the Borderlands, which is another developer-collaboration series between Telltale Games and Gearbox Software.
- We’re not intending on creating an “official” story for Steve, or explaining the world of Minecraft in detail. It will be a cool game.
- The Minecraft 2 thing was a joke. No really. It was a joke.
Here’s what Telltale Games has revealed at Minecon so far…
What else can we tell you about the upcoming series and how cool it is to be collaborating as studios? Hear it straight from Telltale’s own CEO and Mojang’s Chief Word Officer…
“We’ve worked closely with the amazing team at Mojang to ensure this story is a natural fit for the Minecraft world fans already know and love,” said Kevin Bruner, CEO and co-founder of Telltale Games.“As Jesse, players will steer their own path through a tale of adventure and survival; all brought to life by an all-star cast. Through Telltale’s choice-based gameplay and a story spanning from the Nether to the Farlands, the End, and beyond, we can’t wait for fans to experience this new take on the beloved world of Minecraft.”
“The interactive storytellers at Telltale are giving players the chance to explore their own unique interpretation of the Minecraft universe,” said Owen Hill, Chief Word Officer at Mojang. “They’ve crafted a story that follows the logic of Minecraft, but still manages to feel original. It’s actually pretty funny too. And the pig is adorable. We’re super excited about players digging deeper into the world of Minecraft: Story Mode later this year.”
We’ll also be doing a panel with Mojang at 4:30pm London time Saturday (8:30am PT / 11:30am ET), where we’ll go into a little more depth about how our collaboration started and what you can expect to see in Minecraft: Story Mode. Of course if you’re like us and are unable to make it to London for Minecon this weekend, then you’ll be able to watch the the entire Minecon Twitch Livestream right here…