The advent of virtual reality is set to bring a host of new possibilities, and yet, it also brings its own sets of challenges. The idea of a future where we’re able to literally immerse ourselves into virtual realities is incredibly exciting, if properly executed we’ll be able to transport ourselves to brave new worlds. However the biggest problem with most VR is the tendency to induce motion sickness and in some instances vertigo. However Cloudhead Games believes they’ve created the perfect solution, so everyone will be able to enjoy VR gaming.
Vancouver Island-based developer Cloudhead Games, with their AAA pedigree (Bioware, Relic) and an industry leading three years of VR experience, are bringing new ideas to the table, not only in the form of innovative gameplay, but also changing how players interact with the world of VR.
Through the introduction of the studio’s Blink VR locomotion mechanic, an elastic VR playspace, Cloudhead Games are delivering a 100% nausea-free play experience. Combining three primary systems – Cinematic Blink, Precision Blink and Volume Blink – the locomotion mechanic ensures player safety, deep traversal and complete spacial awareness in both the virtual and real world.
Through non-intrusive in-game visual positioning cues, and the ability to “blink” across distances, Blink allows players a safe, scalable play environment, allowing you to physically walk around a space or stand still at your desk. Play in the office, or in an airplane hangar – your adventure, your choice.
Blink will debut in Cloudhead Games’ debut title, The Gallery: Call of the Starseed, Episode 1 of 4, the first commercially announced “made for VR” title, and will launch alongside the HTC Vive in Holiday 2015.
Want to know more about The Gallery: Call of the Starseed…
- Transport yourself to fantasy worlds and experience a deep sense of presence as you uncover intricate details, looking in, under, over and around every nook and cranny.
- Experience complete hand tracking and interact within the environment like never before through groundbreaking gameplay designed specifically for VR.
- Move, sit, stand, walk and crawl in an immersive 360°environment; play at your desk, in your living room or a fully dedicated space with a full custom room-scale supported experience.
- Cutting edge positional audio and spellbinding soundtrack by award-winning composer, Jeremy Soule.
- Rekindle your love for adventure with a classic character-driven narrative inspired by dark 80’s fantasy films.
Developed by Cloudhead Games, a group of developers from Vancouver Island who have been working in the VR space for the last two years. Their journey began with a humble Kickstarter campaign which granted them the opportunity to begin working on The Gallery. Since then become a diverse team of pioneers drawing from many different backgrounds, from AAA game studios like Bioware and Relic, to tabletop RPG developers like Worldworks Games.